SURPRISE NO CARB PANCAKES!!!

Serve with butter and sugar free maple syrup


Ya know when you are trying out a recipe and it just isn't what you were looking for?  Well, that is how these pancakes came to be.  I was looking for a tortilla, but the recipe I had just didn't turn out anything like a tortilla.  I decided to change up the ingredients a bit and make something else out of what I had. 

Pork Rind pancakes


I love cream cheese pancakes, but they just aren't very fluffy.  They taste like french toast without the bread.  Delicious and totally low carb, but they really aren't pancakes but more of a crepe.

I tried a coconut flour pancake recipe last week.  I THREW IT IN THE GARBAGE, YUK!!!  I have seen a bunch of pancake and waffle recipes using almond flour.  I don't like using almond flour for some things.  The almond flavor really can over power recipes.  So my trek for the perfect keto pancakes continues.  Well, maybe not anymore!!

If you have followed my journey at all, you know I LOVE PORK RINDS!!!  They are so versatile!!  Great source of fat and protein without any carbs!!  My very first keto recipe was a garlic bread made from pork rinds.  From that recipe forward, I was hooked!!

These oops pancakes are still somewhat crepe like, not near as fluffy as original buttermilk pancakes, but they are more fluffy and more pancake like, plus, they have GREAT flavor and are nearly 0 carb!! 

The batter makes about a dozen pancakes.  So I had to figure the nutrition for the whole batch, depending on the size of the cakes, you will have to do the math on per serving.  The whole thing is 1260 calories, 3 grams of carbs, and 0 sugar (without the optional sweetener).

The batter

One of the great things with this recipe is you just dump it all in the food processor and turn it on!!!  It does all of the work for you.


SURPRISE NO CARB PANCAKES

In a food processor, completely mix all ingredients until nice and smooth:

1 cup finely ground pork rinds (about 4 ounces)
6 eggs
4 ounce 1/3 fat Philadelphia cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon maple extract
*optional-to sweeten them up, add about 3 tablespoons splenda

Heat a lightly greased electric skillet to the high setting.  Scoop about 1/3 cup of batter on skillet.  BE PATIENT!!!  You have to wait to flip them until they are really cooked.  I waited until most of the air bubbles pop, then flip. 

See the air bubbles, be patient, wait for them to POP before flipping!

Serve with butter and sugar free maple syrup.  These are also great to make up ahead of time, and freeze or refrigerate.  Just make sure to separate them to freeze or else they will all stick together.  You can freeze individually then throw them in a baggie or separate with parchment or wax paper first then freeze the stack in a baggie. 

ENJOY!!

Comments