Sugar Free Chia Seed Drinks

I have been trying to add chia seeds into my low carb sugar free (LCSF) lifestyle with intermittent fasting.  I know a lot of people add to yogurts, soups, etc... I needed something easy and tasty.  So I concocted two easy ways to get chia seeds in through refreshing drinks!!

The seeds add a lot of fiber to your day, so make sure to slowly incorporate them into your diet to make sure your digestive system can tolerate them.  I started with 1 tablespoon a day for about 10 days, then increased by a tablespoon at a time.  I am now eating 4 tablespoons a day.



I have this lemonade as a breakfast replacement between 10 and 11am since I also follow an intermittent fasting schedule.  It breaks the fast, fills me up, and 'buys' me a couple of hours until lunch time comes around. 

Lemonade

2 tablespoons chia seeds (lower amounts if you are just starting out)
1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 singles packet Country Time Sugar Free lemonade mix

Let chia seeds rest in warm water for at least 30 minutes.  Then add lemon juice and mix.  Add water and ice to desired tartness.  I mix mine in a 24 ounce tumbler.  Best if cold.  It just tastes like lemonade with pulp. 



This smoothie has become my evening sweet snack!  When the weather warms up, there is nothing better than an icy smoothie!!  Refreshing, low calorie and carbs, and tasty!!


Strawberry Smoothie

1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons chia seeds (lower amounts if you are just starting out)
1/2 cup boiling water
1 sugar free strawberry gelatin mix 3 ounce size
1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
Ice cubes



Let chia seeds rest in warm water for at least 30 minutes.  In a blender, add boiling water and jello mix.  While blending, add chia seeds that have plumped with their water, whipping cream and ice to desired consistency.  I use about 10-12 cubes.  The chia seeds just add the texture of strawberry seeds. 

 

You can use any flavor of gelatin you choose, as long as it is sugar free!!

For both recipes I have found that the longer you can 'soak' the seeds, the less 'seedy' they taste.  I had a hard time in the beginning with the crunch if they weren't soaked long enough.  I also found they soak faster in hotter water.  It is really easy to just start soaking them in the morning and let them sit on the counter until you are ready to use them later in the day. 





Comments